It is the policy of the Materials Research Laboratory (MRL) that all persons working under our auspices are entitled to as safe a work environment as possible. It is also our policy that all health, safety, and environmental protection regulations and good practice are to be followed by all persons working within the MRL.
Ten Commandments of Safety
- Thou shalt wear thy safety glasses, as with all other personal protective equipment that shall be required.
- Thou shalt chain all of thy gas cylinders securely with chain of welded link. When the earth shall shake, thy chemicals, bookshelves, and heavy goods must not fall down to the earth or upon thy head.
- Thou shalt not store thy chemicals alphabetically, but only compatibles upon compatibles.
- Thou shalt not smoke within the laboratory. Neither shall thou confuse the laboratory with a place of nourishment.
- Thou shalt never dump thy waste chemicals into the drain. Neither shall thou place any sharp waste, including broken glass, razor blades, nor needles, in the regular trash cans inside the laboratory. Thou shalt place all sharp waste into the dumpster or a special container.
- Thou shalt label all of thy chemicals and samples with thy name and the date. Thou shalt never leave unknown and unmarked bottles of chemicals or samples for thy neighbor.
- Thou shalt purchase only the minimum chemicals for thy needs. Thou shalt covet thy neighbor's chemicals and thou shalt share thy chemicals with thy neighbor.
- Thou shalt not have multiple extension cords in series.
- Thou shalt not deliver oxygen in plastic tubing, lest the fires of Hell visit upon thy experiment.
- Thou shalt know what thou are doing and about the hazards thou faceth. Thou shalt never toil in the laboratory until thou hast studied and trained about safe work practices.
Vermont SIRI MSDS Collection: This is a useful site with 140,000 MSDSs. Also has lots of links to other related web sites.